Foods high in iodine
Various types of thyroid conditions can be improved by including certain iodine containing foods. This implies for any form of hypothyroidism, endemic goiter or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and the list goes on. Foods high in iodine can ease various thyroid symptoms such as moist hands, depression, irritability, mood swings, and anxiety to some extent. These foods contain iodine and will boost the thyroid hormone levels in the body. Moreover, these foods stimulate the synthesis of thyroid hormones by supplying adequate amount of iodine to the thyroid. Read on to learn about some of the foods that are high in iodine and meet with daily iodine requirements of the body.
- The Vegetables, fruits and Legumes are richest sources of iodine.
- Highest amounts of iodine containing natural sources include sea plants, sea vegetables and seaweeds like nori, and kelp.
Moreover, the availability of iodine in soil vastly varies based on the soil type and its location. Due to these variations, the iodine present in the irrigation water, local soils, and fertilizers influences the iodine levels in vegetables and fruits.
- Organic strawberry is considered as iodine rich fruit as it is packed with 10% of the daily iodine requirement.
- About 1 cup of fresh organic strawberries contain around 13/mcg of iodine.
- Cranberries also contain abundant amounts of iodine and 4 ounces of cranberries contain around 400/mcg of iodine.
Hence, fresh organic fruits and berries are rich sources of iodine and anti-oxidants. Although, iodine is present in bananas, prunes, and lima beans; however, it is found in negligible amounts.
- Vegetables such as organic navy beans contain fiber and iodine. About 1/2 cup of navy beans contain approximately 32/mcg of iodine.
- Iodized salt –the main food source of iodine is the table salt.
- Seafood is a natural source of iodine and it includes Kombu, Jaffa cakes, Fresh fish, Hijike, sea bass, cod, Arame, haddock, Dulse, Fish oils, Kelp and perch.
- Dairy products are also rich in iodine and some of these include Cheese cake, Cheddar cheese, Condensed milk, Mayonnaise,Yorkshire pudding
- Meat and poultry products are also high in iodine and these include chicken, eggs, lean meat
- Pulses and grains contain iodine.
- Some of the sources include Malt bread, Nori, Naan Bread, Wakame, potato, Trifle, Jerusalem artichokes, hyssop, spinach, and fennel
- Some types of pastas and breads are enriched with iodine.
According to The Merck Index 14th Edition 4, some of the iodine containing fresh that are effective in stimulating the synthesis of thyroid hormones are as follows:
- Fruits such as strawberries, pineapple, mango,coconut, balsam apple,rhubarb, apricots, and dates that offer great benefits in case of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
- Vegetables such as grains, spinach, Jerusalem artichoke, and potato
- Fortified Wholegrain cereals such as lentils, buckwheat, and oats
- Spices like cinnamon, fennel, black and white pepper
- Herbs like hyssop, bladderwrack and fennel
- Nuts like hazelnut
- Moringa (Moringaoleifera)Tree leaves
Fruits high in iodine
- Pineapple is the iodine containing natural source that also has potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apart from iodine, pineapple also contains various vitamins, bromelain, and 16 other minerals.
- Bromelain in pineapple is an anti-inflammatory enzyme that is effective in improving various autoimmune disorders; thus, effective in easing symptoms associated with thyroiditis.
- Coconut contains medium-chain saturated fatty acids which increases the rate of body metabolism.
- Strawberries constitute the topmost source of iodine and anti-histamines.
- It is naturally rich in an anti-inflammatory enzyme called quercetin, which is known to protect the brain cells against damage.
- It is effective in relieving inflammatory responses and a cup of strawberries contain around 140 percent of recommended daily iodine.
Jerusalem Artichokes: Iodine and Inulin
- Jerusalem artichokes are richest source of inulin and iodine.
- They belong to the sunflower family that contain a natural carbohydrate called inulin, that rapidly gets transformed into energy, supports glucose metabolism, and regulates serum glucose levels.
- It is a highly recommended source for Hashimoto’s disease.
- Spinach belongs to the family of beets/chard and contains over 13 different flavonoids, which are potent antioxidants with anti-cancer properties.
- It contains abundant iodine, and vitamin K.
- Rhubarb is a rich source of iodine and various vitamins like A, C and many of the B vitamins.
- It contains over 12 different minerals that relieve from hypothyroidism related symptoms such as constipation with their laxative properties.
- Apart from iodine, Apricots contain abundant amount of phytonutrients such asbeta-carotene lycopene, and quercetin,
- Balsam apple is also called as bitter melon, is a fruit that contains iodine and regulates metabolism.
Mangoes and Dates
- Apart from iodine, Mangoes constitute the richest source of vitamin A (beta-carotene)
- Dates also contain iodine, selenium and about 23 varieties of amino acids that promote protein synthesis in various thyroid conditions.
Filed Under: Foods High in Iodine